Beukey on Pop Culture

This blog will focus on pop culture, with an emphasis on views outside, overlooked, or ignored by the mainstream. I may veer off-topic. We are all grown-ups, so don't act shocked at occasional bad language. This blog is not the place for those of you who stood in line to see "The Lake House".

Monday, June 26, 2006

What I Get, What I Don't Get

For those of you that don't know me, this would be a good time to introduce you to what I like (get) and dislike (don't get). That way you can get an idea of my tastes and see how similar (or dissimilar) they are to yours.

Things I Get: Heathers, Ghost World, Fight Club, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV version), Natural Born Killers, Blue Velvet, Futurama, The Velvet Underground, The Grateful Dead, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Chuck Klosterman, Horse Racing, Professional Wrestling (although it's in a down period)

Things I Don't Get: Oprah (and any other "self-help" show that peddles the same advice day-in, day-out), The Dave Matthews Band, Why anyone finds Will Ferrell or Owen Wilson funny, Bill Murray (and why any discussion about his genius in movies overpraises his mediorcre movies like Lost in Translation and ignores things like Charlie's Angels and the Garfield movies), commercial fiction, why anyone cares about the Oscars or decides to see a movie solely because it won the "Best Picture" award, why people will watch/buy any piece of crap that Disney attaches its name to.

If you can make a coherent (and short) arguement as to why I should "get" anything in the "don't get" list, please post a comment.

I could go on and on with this list, and probably will in a future post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home